Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

January 23, 1951, Tuesday

Pvt. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. C-69 Med Tk. Ba.
C@B. 6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Since I have been in the Army, I have heard a lot of fellows tell me that I'll probably be a smoker when I get out, and drink also. You and Dad don't have to worry as I still don't smoke or drink, I don't just care about smoking. It just doesn't appeal to me. As for drinking, I won't do that either, Sunday, I had a can of beer, and only drank half of it, threw the rest away. It's 3.2 and it doesn't taste right, sort of sickening.
Went to the rifle range yesterday for practice, just to get used to the rifle and the way it shoots, there were not keeping score of your record. I got 6 bulls eyes, that isn't real good, but some fellows didn't get any. The rifle sounds funny, I guess that's because it's a gas operated explosion. It sounds like a shot gun, and kicks like my 16 ga. shot gun.
Did you hear that Congress dropped the Rct. Recruit, and we are now all Pvt. Privates. We didn't get the raise in pay tho.
We all thought the cartoon was cute.
You asked me if I wanted anything, well, I want my camera when it's fixed, the
paper and Mom, it would be nice if you would make and send me some cookies as we don't have anything like that. The Army Cooks don't know how to bake, I guess. And those pictures, on that film I took just before I left. Maybe a box of Bromo Quinine tablets. I want a lot don't I?
This morning it snowed, then it was just like spring at noon with a real clear sky with sun out and everything. This is the funniest weather I have ever seen. You never know what to expect.
I thought I was losing weight, I am, in inches around the waist but I got weighted Sunday and I weigh 215 lbs, so I guess I am just getting more solid.
It's getting late, so I guess I'll close for tonight.
Love,
Son Bob
P.S. I got a letter from Grandma and Bush (Russell Bush)

No comments:

Post a Comment