Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 9, 2010

April 15, 1951, Sunday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" 69th Med. tk. Ba. CCB
6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Dear Mom and Dad,

Here's a few lines today to let you know the news.
I am coming home the week end of the 21st for 10 days leave, after that I am going to be shipped to Ft. Warden in the state of Washington.
It's a bridge building school on the little peninsular up there. I think it may be a good deal as the rest of the fellows that are being shipped out are going to California, Fort MacArthur where they will be for a little while.
The rest, which was only 5 guys in every platoon, only 20 guys in all are going to Camp Stoneman California where they will be shipped to Korea in May, they got 17 days leave.
That's all of that for now. I can probably explain this better when I am home. It's better than Korea though.
Jack Johnson, Orie Drake, Bob Fess, Canavan, Hill, Ectrome, Flash, Bob Bailey, everybody but Frizzo, are going also. Maybe some of us will stay together.
Well, how is the weather been there? It rained and snowed on Bivouac all week, was pretty cold.
We built all different types of bridges on the Big Piney. It was pretty interesting but would have been more so if it hadn't been so cold.
I got a letter from Grandma (Rosa Dell Hann Fouts) she said that you folks hadn't felt so good lately, I hope you are better now.
It sure was nice yesterday, warmer than spring. I bet it was 80 degrees out.
We went to a show. It was a Chinese picture call "Smugglers Island". It was pretty good .
It sure will be nice to be home where I won't have to rush so much. It's kind of nerve racking when you have to do that.
I hope the weather will be nice too. 10 days isn't an awful long time but I guess it's better than nothing.
We wanted to drive home, it would be quicker but we have to take the troop train, probably be home Sunday night about 9:00 P.M.
Would you send me about $15.00 as I think we have to furnish our own transportation at Chicago.
Take care of yourselves.
Love Son,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment