Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

July 3, 1952, Thursday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co.
APO - 928 - % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      I suppose you think it's about time I wrote, but I keep putting it off then the time has passed along.
      I hope this letter finds everyone fine, and I sure miss you all.
      It takes about 7 to 10 days to get mail here, which isn't bad at all.
      You asked about Dottie, I haven't heard from her in a month and a half.  I know sh can't be too busy to write.  I know she thinks as soon as I get home I'll run right over to her house but I got news for her, as she hasn't got an excuse in the world.
      I sure wish I was home to go fishing, and let me know if you have any luck.
      I am going back up to the rest camp Monday if the weather clears.
      There has been a typhoon coming this direction for the last week.  They have named it Emma.  It has hit Mindanao, Cebu and has been traveling north west at 30 miles an hour, with maximum winds of 105 miles an hour.
      We are in the #2 class warning and we had to lash down everything, we thought would blow away.  We are also restricted.  I hope it gets better, I want to go see Pat tomorrow.
      I got some civilian shirts and she washes and irons them, as the laundry is awful hard on them.  She's a pretty nice girl.  I am going to bring her to the dance Saturday night.
      Well, Saturday, I'll have only five months left in the P.I. (Pacific Islands)
      It won't be long now.
       I am finishing this letter the next morning.
       The all clear sounded, so I went to town and saw Pat for a little while.
       I am sending some pictures of Bob Getchell, that I want to keep and I don't want them to get spoiled.
       Had beef roast for dinner and mashed potatoes and gravy, ice cream.  Don't worry I get enough to eat, even if it isn't anything like your cooking.  I sure miss it.
       Well, it's a quiet 4th of July. It doesn't seem like the 4th. 
       We have been having a lot of carbine inspections lately.
        So I thought I would fool them a little, I put a light coat of clear lacquer on my stock.  It sure shines.  My maintenance officer, Lt. Fryre said a "beautiful excellent carbine Gimbel".  Our battalion commander Col. Locke, said a very fine piece, which is the carbine.  It made me feel real proud as he didn't have any comment for any of the rest of the carbines.
       I turned my shoes in for salvage, a couple of months ago and haven't got them back yet, now I got my civilian shoes wore out, and none to wear.  I guess they are hard to get.
       I broke my glasses also, so I am really in a rut, huh! 
       Do you think you could send me a little money to buy some new shoes, I could get along without glasses for a little while, I guess.
       Well, write and remember I miss and love you all, and take care of yourselves.
       Lots of Love,
       Your Son
       Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment