Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

February 20, 1952, Wednesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's a little letter tonight to let you know I am thinking of you as always.
     As usual the weather here is warm.
     Been doing the same things, as usual, and here it is Wednesday all ready again.  The time is still moving long for me.
      I hope business is still good, and I wish I were there to help you.  It would even be nice to shovel the snow out of the driveway.
      Today, I have been in the army 13 1/2 months, that leave 10 1/2 months to go and 9 1/2 months over here.
      I am sending some pictures home, that I promised.  It will give you a pretty good idea of how the camp looks.  Give me an honest opinion on the girls, they are a little cute, don't you think? They all have a healthy tan, anyway.
      Well in 2 days we will be on our way to Hong Kong.  It will be kind of nice to get out of the routine of things for a week.
      Yesterday, they made some little fences for the corners of the lawn for the orderly room to keep guys from cutting the corners and the Lt. McDowell, (we call him little Gen) told me to paint them.  The Sgt. saw me and told him, that anyone could paint them, that to get someone else to, as I was a sign painter. Ha!Ha!
So they got 2 other fellows to paint them.
     I am getting a little steadier hand, as in a little more better, but need more practice.
     Well, this is all for now and I'll see you before you know it.
     Write and take car of yourselves.
     Lots of Love,
     Bob
P.S.
About Dottie, don't get worried as I'll not rush into anything, especially marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment