Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

October 9, 1951, Tuesday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. B 369th EA & SE
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I have a few minutes this morning before breakfast so I thought I would write a few lines. I hope everything is fine.
Every things okay with me.
My cold is almost gone.
We are on ferry run, had No. 2 run yesterday and we have standby today and No. 1 Wednesday, and Thursday off.
The No 1 run is a 24 hour run. It's a lot of fun, gives a guy a chance to be more or less his own boss.
Well, I had to stop this letter until evening. Being this is fire prevention week we had some movies on fires and etc. Then we had a class on types of extinguishers to use on different types of fires. It was interesting and a good thing to know.
Then we went to the boats, done a little chipping, then I lettered a boat in our platoon. I would like to do that all the time. The brushes they have aren't exactly lettering brushes but they do, and I don't do too bad a job of it if I do say so myself. Sounds like conceit doesn't it? Ha!Ha! (Bob was good at painting strips on vehicles).
We just had a G.I. party, that's when we all get together and scrub our floor.
A General from the Pentagon Bldg. in Washington D.C. is coming tomorrow. So that is the cause of this all. I am not sure if he's a general or not but he's some inspector, we must be getting pretty important to have someone all the way from D.C. to come to inspect us.
Well, I can't think of anymore news so I have to cut this short about now.
I guess a bunch of us are going over and bowl tonight. That's Bob Getchell from Wisconsin and Joe Woytovick from Michigan.
Tell Claudia and Rosemary Hi and everyone else, take care of yourselves.
Loads of Love,
Bob
P.S.
I won this stationery at the Service club playing Bingo. Also a couple of packages of Cigs, you know what happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment