Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 23, 2010

January 18, 1952, Friday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
85th Eng. Boat Co.
A.P.O. 928 - % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Here's a letter this evening to let you know that I am thinking of you all still.  As I sure miss being back home.
     I hope you are all well and that the business is picking up.
     I am setting out on the patio at the service club and it's really nice and cool writing out here.
     I got a real pretty Christmas card from Dottie today, she sent it the 21st and it just got here.  The mail is pretty slow, but it gets here sooner or later.
     I am sending Claudia a Centavo.  It's a Filipino penny and it's worth half as much as ours.  Maybe she would like to take it to school and let the kids see it.  I'll send more later.
     I have been wondering what you and Dad think of Dottie.  Write and tell me, as I want to know.  I want you and Dad to like her.  I know you have always said that if I liked a girl you would like her too.  But I would really like to know what you think of her.
     It was real hot today as usual but I am getting used to it, so it doesn't bother me anymore.  I guess my blood is thinning.  I sure sweat anyway.
     Well, I'll sign off for now, and when I get paid I'll send some money to help out.
     I've been paid only $20.00 for December and it's not too far from payday again.
     So take care of yourselves and I miss you all very much.
     Love and kisses,
     Your Son,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment