Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

May 15, 1952, Thursday

Pfc. Robert Gimbel
U.S. ########
85 Boat Co.
APO - 928 - % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

      I received your very welcome letter yesterday and the money also.  I am very happy it got here as I was sort of short.
      Here's hoping things are fine at home, as they are fine here.
      Boy, Jack sure has lost a lot of guys, huh!  (Daleiden) I don't feel sorry for him though. I see he doesn't advertise about painting much anymore.
      I am glad my car has a new motor in it now, but I never dreamed the other motor was so bad.  It's a wonder it ran as good as it did.  It should have a lot of pep as the old motor only had 84 H.P. when new, that is and the 1941 Dodge is around a 100 I think.
      It ought to be a little power house on wheels. 
      That sand blaster really sounds nice, and I am dreaming of the day I can get home and get back to work again.
      They keep me so busy here that they won't let me go on 3 day pass or nothing.  But I think I'll catch up with it later on so I can.
      It's starting the rainy season now and I am glad as it is cooling off a little. 
      Back to the sandblaster, it would of sure made a quick work of those McNamara jobs we used to have.   
      I don't know about Russ, he always talks about quiting Lockshore, so he can work for us, but I don't know, he works hard when he's here, but if he's not dependable, well that's another story.
     You should of seen me yesterday, they wanted to paint a M boat in a rush and they had to get Black paint in a hurry, so they got some in five gallon pails.  It's called Quigley's Triple "A". 
      I was sort of leery of it, it smelled like tar, but the Sarge said put it on, so I put it into the pot and it came out just like mice turds, boy did it plug up the gun and stuff.  I was really mad, being in a hurry we didn't pay much attention to the ingredients.  It was 60% pitch and 40 percent something else, I don't know what that was, shit, I think! Ha! Ha!  But the worst of it, they bought 300 gallons of it so they felt bad too.  But I am sure that will never happen again.
     I've taken some pictures of the equipment and when they get developed I'll send them home.
     Well, I guess this is about all for now, so write soon and I am always thinking of yo all and love you very much.  Tell the kids Hi and I miss them.
     All my love,
     Your Son,
     Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment