Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 9, 1951, Thursday


Pvt. Robert Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Here it is at the end of another day.
I had quite a lot of interesting things to tell you so I thought I would write to you tonight.
It's been a nice day, but foggy and misty in the morning as it quite often is.
We worked on our boat all day, as usual.
Painted quite a bit on it. We have an inspection on it Saturday, so we have been trying to get it shaped up in perfect form. Tomorrow we will have it all done.
I bought a Newsweek and I cut out the cover as it has a picture of a fellow that was in our platoon on it. He slept just across the room in our barracks in Missouri. He's Edward Dussek from Bederwin Hts, Chicago. I don't think that's spelled right. He's one of the fellows that went to Fort Lawton, here in Washington.
There was a couple of others wounded, I've heard.
In this magazine, there was an article on mail call. Save this for me. I don't mean it to you folks, because you write me often, I realize you're busy anyway, but I think that every Soldiers friend or any other Serviceman's friends should read this. It really puts tears in my eyes.
Really, it's just the way a guy feels about mail, you wouldn't think that a paper with writing on it would mean so much but it sure does.
I took some pictures of Orie's wedding with my flash camera, it sure worked slick, used colored film. It ought to sure be beautiful pictures.
Well, this is it for tonight.
So write and take car of yourselves.
Love
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment