Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

January 16, 1951 Wednesday

Rct. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. C-69th Med Tk Ba.
C&B 6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonard Wood MO

Dear Mom & Dad,

Just a few lines tonight to let you know that I am always thinking of you, all of you. And I hope everyone is feeling fine. I am swell, but still have a running nose that I had all summer.
We had a real big day today, this morning we had instruction on how to disassemble and assemble the rifle. We had four hours of this and I now can take it apart and put it together in about 5 minutes. In the afternoon, we had instruction on the right way to aim our rifles, that was pretty easy for me too.
You should be getting some of my letters soon, I think they are pretty lapse on getting it out on time. I haven't received any as yet.
The wind is getting strong, I think we might get some rain, I hope not as it gets awfully sloppy in this clay. (Missouri Mud that is). It gets on a guys boots about an inch thick and you have to clean and polish them every night.
I have been away from home only about 10 days and it almost seems like 10 months. I think when our quarantine is off, that is 4 weeks, i will come home the week end, if I can get the transportation.
Orie Drake is in my same barracks and he seen Elmer Conklin, he has his 50 Ford up here, he goes home ever weekend and maybe we can come home with him and if I do, I'll see you.
How's the weather in Kazoo? It's a little colder but bright here.
I haven't very much time left tonight and I have to shave and take a shower, so this is all for tonight.
Good night and good health.
Love
Your Son Bob
P.S.
The General spoke to us the other morning and he says we are all engineers.

No comments:

Post a Comment