Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

July 12, 1951

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Company "B"
369th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
Ft. Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

Here I am again, hoping that everything is going well.
It was real hot today. But it always cools off in the evening.
I got the Sunday paper, and I cut the picture of shop out of it. (The new Body Shop business) It's sure a wonderful looking place. I sure wish I were there working in it.
I did a little chipping of paint on a LCM boat today. It seemed kind of nice for a change. It made me think of home a lot, when I used to work at the shop, and I used to hate those grubby jobs, but the ones I got didn't hurt me a bit. I didn't get too many though.
We get off at 4:30, have 1/2 hour of Physical Training and then a couple of laps around the parade field, then retreat.
The physical training is helping me quite a bit. I know I am getting stronger and harder.
They have Arthur Godfrey on the T.V, Frank Parker was singing.
It's a Westinghouse TV set. It's not as good as ours.
In the show the other night "Show Boat" there was a cut little girl in it. Every time I see little kids it makes me think of Claudia and Rosemary. I miss them, a lot. (XO)
I got a letter from Dick Dynes, the kid from Florida I met in MO. It was nice to hear from him. He's real swell. He says it's getting a little cooler lately. He said it's 75 degrees and raining. If the temperature drops 5 more degrees, I'll bet he'll freeze to death! Ha!Ha!
I hope nothing happens, but if anything does, our C.O. said to tell our Folks to contact the Red Cross and they will take care of the rest. Furlough and Etc, expenses, that is an emergency, sickness or something like that.
Going through the Red Cross saves a lot of red tape.
I cut an article out of the newspaper, tells just why we have wars.
Well, this is all the news for now, so write soon and take care of yourselves.
Go fishing a lot, and I miss you all.
Lots of Love,
Your son,
Bob
P.S.
Send me one of those little pictures (colored) of our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment