Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Friday, August 13, 2010

December 17, 1951, Monday

Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "C" Replacement Ba.
Camp Stoneman, California

Dear Mom and Dad,

I just got back from the show, so I thought I would write a few lines.
Here's hoping things are fine.
I got 2 letters from Dottie today. She's sure a fine person. I think someday she will make me a swell wife.
this is the last letter you will get from me, from the states. As we are leaving early in the morning.
I guess I've been real lucky since I've been in the army, the way I have missed going to Korea, but I am real thankful and it's a nice Christmas present.
Well, I'll close for now and I am putting my new address on the back here so write real often and have a nice Christmas and I'll be thinking of you all.
So, lots of love and kisses.
Your Son,
Bob
Pfc. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Provision Co. 1265
A.P.O. 928 % Postmaster
San Francisco, California

No comments:

Post a Comment