Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Monday, August 9, 2010

May 7, 1951, Monday

Pvt. Robt. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. "B" 369 Eng. Boat & Shore Reg.
Fort Worden, Washington

Dear Mom and Dad,

I suppose you were wondering when in the heck you would hear from me.
Well, we have been pretty busy for the last few days.
We got here last Friday at 11:00 A.M.
It's a really pretty Fort, has real nice green grass, barracks and buildings.
Saturday noon, we were given a pass until 6:00 A.M. Monday.
We went to Seattle to see Dwayne's brother, who he hasn't seen in 8 years. Fess, Bailey, Canavan and me, we all went together. Had a swell time.
Saw a lot of those Korean Vets who cam back.
We have to take 2 ferries to get to Seattle. We get class "A" passes tomorrow, then we can go off the post every night.
The food is a lot better too. In fact, it's heaven compared to where we were.
I am in the boat part of the Regiment, that's LSM landing barges.
I'll know what I am going to be doing later in the week, then I'll write and tell you.
They have baseball diamonds, and softball diamonds, and equipment for everyone that's interested to play ball. Also fishing equipment to go fishing. They catch 2 to 40 pound salmon up here in this bay. I am going to try to get one, one of these weekends.
The name of this water around this bay is called "Pugent Sound".
They also have a bowling alley here.
It is a beautiful state, a lot of hills but real green.
We came through Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Washington.
Seen about 50 pheasants in South Dakota. The mountains were really pretty.
How is everyone? Swell, I hope.
How's the situation with Jack? (Dalieden) Did it turn out okay?
How's the weather there? It's real nice here.
Well, this is all for now, write soon and tell me all about everything.
Did Ted (Klinger) get that check for you?
Love,
Bob
P.S.
Tell the girls, Hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment