Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

January 12, 1951 Friday

Rct. Robert M. Gimbel
U.S. ########
Co. C 69 Med Tank Div.
CCB 6th Armd. Div.
Fort Leonardwood, Missouri

Dear Mom & Dad,

Well, I am finally stationed at my basic training station. I am at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri. It's not bad weather but it's kind of damp.
Did you get my clothes yet?
We only had 15 minutes before train time. I was going to call but all the other guys had the same idea so some of us didn't have time.
How is everyone?
We got in cap today at 1:30 this morning. Didn't get to bed until 2:15, had to get bedding and supper. From Fort Sherdian to here we transferred five times. It's a real large cap. 86,000 acres. We can't leave the Co. area which is about 3 square blocks for 3 weeks.
I sure would like to have a date with a good looking blond or anything.
Jim Foster is down here, some where. Jay went to Texas, I wanted to also but I am glad as I am far away from home as it is. Bill Resseguic, a fellow that Bush and I used to run around with and whom we graduated with, is in my barracks, and sleeps one bed from me. That makes it nice as he is a good guy.
Sunday we have off? Maybe.
They are putting our rifles in the racks tonight. They are M1's, that's the Garand Automatic 30 Caliber.
How's business, Dad?
How's my sweet little sisters?
It might be more than 6 weeks before I'll be home, I hope not.
The government wants to build a large army and the shortages in army cloths are such that the boys don't have proper clothes to train in. Thats all they can talk about is shortages. But I like it more than I thought I would.
Tell Grandma and Grandpa Hello and Gays for me, (Itha and Natalie Gay, neighbors) and I'll write them when I can.
Don't forget to write me now that you can, big address isn't it? Ha! Ha!
I'll see you all soon and remember, I love you all.
Write soon as I am sure lonesome for some letters.
A guy just said that his rifle weights 9.65 pounds and after you carry it a couple of miles the decimal point drops out.
Write soon.
Love
Your Son
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment