Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Friday, July 30, 2010

January 6, 1951 Saturday

Rct. Robert M. Gimbel US ########
Co. H Reception Center
Barracks 650, Fort Sherdian, Ill

Dear Mom & Dad,

I hope you are both swell. I am having a good time, am still with Jay and some of the other fellows. The Sherwin Williams boys, Jack & John. Learned quite a lot about army life today, we got to Fort Sherdian, Ill, this morning at 5:00 am. been going steady all day, it is now 8:30 the Sarge is going to show us how to make our beds now. Got my bed made.
It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be. We got some of our clothing today, just call be "Buck Pvt. Gimbel". The officers are swell guys. They just want you to take their orders, the best reason they say for it is, that some one higher than them said to do it that way.
Dad cigs are $1.50 a carton here.
We are going to take aptitude test tomorrow, this will tell the Army, the job, you are most fitted for.
Mother, I was going to send you something like I did Dad but where I bought the lighter, they had a jewelry counter and it was closed, and I haven't had a chance to get any place to buy anything for you.
I have a return address but the Co. Commander asked us to ask you not to write until I am at my basic training camp. Until then I'll write you.
I can't send this letter until tomorrow because I haven't got m serial number, and it's required on your address.
We will have only 6 weeks basic training, instead of 8 weeks, then I'll be home for 10 days.
It's really cold here as Fort Sherdian is right on the lake front. They say some of the fellows are stationed at McLoy and it's 32 below zero and I don't want any part of that, no how.
The lights are due to go out in 5 minutes so I got to stop writing. Tell everyone hello. Claudia & Rosemary and rest.
Love
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment