Robert Merle Gimbel - Letters home starting 1-4-1951 to 11-15-1952

My brother Bob was drafted into the army in 1951. These are the letters he wrote home to our parents, Orpha Fouts Gimbel and Claude "Bud" Gimbel.



I was born in 1949, so my first memories of Bob were of him on leave, the beautiful oil painting proudly displayed in our living room that his friend painted and of course, after his return, his bright tropical patterned shirts from the Phillipines.



I love you Bob, and I miss you. Mom treasured these letters and now I am sharing them with the world.



World....I hope you enjoy reading them!

Friday, July 30, 2010

January 7, 1951 Sunday

Rct. Robert Gimbel U.S. ########
Co. H Reception Center
Fort Sherdian, Ill

Dear Mom & Dad,

How are you?
Well, today is Sunday. We got up at 5:00 a.m., made our beds, mopped the barracks, then went to breakfast. After breakfast we went to our aptitude test, ten of them, we were through at 3:30 p.m.
Sure doesn't seem like Sunday, but I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I am writing this letter at 4:00 p.m. We eat at 5:00 p.m., then we march back to the barracks. If we are permitted, we can go to the PX which is the postal exchange, which is the general store. Lights are out at 9:30 p.m., got to be in bed by 10:00 p.m., if you don't go to the PX, otherwise, it's 11:00 p.m.
There's a lot of swell fellows here, the ones I am with are all from Kazoo.
We will be here until about Wednesday, then we will go by train to our camp.
Remember not to worry as I am "OK". Tell Dad to tell Jack, (Daleiden) I miss him. Ha Ha! Some of the officers don't yell as loud as him.
It will be good to get home, as I miss everyone. Nothing is quite like it as you quickly learn.
I want to mail this, so it will get out in the mail tonight.
So remember to not write until I say so, as I will not get the letter.
Love
Your Son Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment